Welcome to RheumMadness
RheumMadness is a FREE educational tournament for everyone who is crazy about rheumatology. The project is funded by a Clinician Scholar Educator Award from the Rheumatology Research Foundation and inspired by a similar project in nephrology called NephMadness.
How to Play RheumMadness
- Read "scouting reports" reviewing each team in the tournament (click for links to the reports). You can also find links to the reports when filling out your bracket.
- Click "Submit Your Picks Now" to fill out your bracket. You will be asked to register so we can keep track of your scores. IT IS FREE to submit a bracket. Brackets must be entered before March 26, 2022.
- Enjoy the tournament! The tournament results will be released in 4 rounds from March 26 through April 4, 2022.
How are matches determined?
The winner of each match-up is decided by a 7-member "Blue Ribbon Panel" of rheumatologists. The panel will vote based on which topic they think is most important to patients, providers, and researchers, both now and in the future. The more your picks match those of the panel, the more points you get! Scroll down to learn more about the panel.
What do I get if I win?
Participants with the most correct predictions will "win" RheumMadness. Prizes will be given to participants with the top scores in the following categories: (1) Attending / APP, (2) Fellow, and (3) Resident / Medical Student. The prize is a custom RheumMadness coffee mug and a lifetime of bragging rights. But really, everyone wins in RheumMadness because you get to connect, collaborate, compete, and learn together.
Other ways to connect with RheumMadness
- Subscribe to the RheumMadness newsletter.
- Join the conversation on Twitter (#RheumMadness).
- Listen to the RheumMadness podcast. In this podcast series, we interview fellows who wrote the scouting reports and highlight themes of diversity, equity, and inclusion as they relate to concepts in RheumMadness. You can find the podcast on all major podcasting apps.
- Explore even more RheumMadness content our website.
The 2022 Blue Ribbon Panel
We are thankful to have an amazing panel with diverse interests, areas of expertise, and practice settings.
- Belinda Birnbaum, MD, rheumatologist at the Bryn Mawr Medical Specialists Association in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania. Follow her at @BelindaBirnbaum.
- Ashira Blazer, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine at the Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS). Follow her at @ashira_md.
- Kevin Byram, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine at Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC), Co-director of The Vanderbilt Vasculitis Clinic, and Associate Director of the Vanderbilt Rheumatology Fellowship Program. Follow him at @kwbyram.
- Anisha Dua, MD, MPH, Associate Professor of Medicine at Northwestern Feinberg School of Medicine, Director of the Northwestern Rheumatology Fellowship Program and Director of the Vasculitis Center. Follow her at @anisha_dua.
- Al Kim, MD, PhD, Assistant Professor of Medicine at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis (WUSTL), Co-director of the WUSTL Lupus Clinic. Follow him at @alhkim.
- Laura Lewandowski, MS, MD, Assistant Clinical Investigator at the National Institutes of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS), and Head of the Lupus Genomics and Global Health Disparities Unit. Follow her at @LauraLewMad11.
- Iman Qaiser, MD, first-year rheumatology fellow at LSU Health Shreveport. Follow her at @imanqwho.